Thursday, September 25, 2014

Modernist Playgrounds of My Youth: Update

Thanks to everyone who read my previous two post on the playground equipment designed by Creative Playthings in the 1950s and 60s.  A comment on the last post about the "Fantastic Village" pointed my in the direction of Blair Hills Park in Culver City, California.  The concrete play sculpture there is not the full Fantastic Village but definitely may be a modified or later version of it.  


Considering the fact that a Creative Playthings turtle stands right next to the "Swiss Cheese", I can be fairly confident in saying that the yellow piece is also by Creative Playthings.  It's so amazing that some of these old structures still exist.  If any other readers are aware any other structures like this that are still around (specifically whole or partial Fantastic Villages) send the info my way.  I'm not always able to respond right away but I do read the comments left by my readers.  Thanks so much.

1 comment:

Please leave your comments of questions. Stay on topic and respect the views of others. I reserve the right to delete any comments I deem inappropriate.